How to install Geopsy 3.2.0 - ANSWERS!

Post in this forum any question related to the installation on any of the supported platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
EduardoPitta

How to install Geopsy 3.2.0 - ANSWERS!

Postby EduardoPitta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Hello everyone,
After a lot of struggle, I finally installed geopsy in my PC.
Here I will put instructions and solutions to problems so you all can use Geopsy faster than I did.

1. Qt Version
The ideal Qt version for that version of Geopsy is equal or above 5.7, however version 5.7 doesn't seem to work. The Qt version used in the installation tutorial was 5.11.
That way I had two solutions to try:

1-Install the latest Qt in Ubuntu from source
2-Install Debian 10 (Buster)

Why Debian 10? Because it comes with Qt 5.11 by default, so you don't have to risk messing with root and the like. If you want to try to install Qt 5.11 in Ubuntu, get in touch, I'm eager to learn how to do it.

2.Window Manager
After I installed geopsy successfully, the first thing I realized is that I couldn't see any kind of image it generates.
The solution is simple, use a Window Manager that supports Wayland.
I'm not really sure what it is, but here is the solution:

1- At the login screen, click at the cog icon.
2- Select Xfce, if avaliable, if not, install it through apt-get.
3- Log-in and have fun.

So far this is what I remember on how to install it, shoot your questions and I will try to answer.

tsonne

Re: How to install Geopsy 3.2.0 - ANSWERS!

Postby tsonne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 am

There should be multiple ways to get various Qt versions installed. For example, I used Anaconda (or conda) to enable a virtual programming environment without requiring virtual operating systems. Updating it to the newest version gives Qt 5.12.5 at this point. My Ubuntu 16.04 had Qt 5.5.1, but using the conda environment all development files from conda are used instead of the base OS.

Had an issue with a missing library file libGL.so in the conda path, all g++ compiled parts would not compile:

Code: Select all

make -j 8  # using 8 cores
...  # stuff happens until the error:
g++: error: /mnt/M2_1/prog/anaconda3/bin/../x86_64-conda_cos6-linux-gnu/sysroot/usr/lib64/libGL.so: No such file or directory

I linked my OS libGL.so to where the Geopsy configuration was expecting it and everything installed fine. It's a messy fix though, and not related to any Geopsy issues.

To link files as in the case of a missing library on the search path:

ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so /mnt/M2_1/prog/anaconda3/x86_64-conda_cos6-linux-gnu/sysroot/usr/lib64/libGL.so

This assumes an existing libGL.so in the system, but if that's not available, apparently installing something like libgl1-mesa-glx will create it. To find OS libraries like libGL.so, this should work:

locate libGL.so

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to install Geopsy 3.2.0 - ANSWERS!

Postby admin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks for your contributions.
With geopsy 3.2.*, if you try Qt>5.12.*, you will probably get into troubles. I've never try to compile with Qt 5.13
Recently, I was able to compile it with Qt 5.6 and gcc 4.4 (an old CentOS), with some fixes that will be available in 3.3.0. And apparently it worked without messing around with the system.

Return to “Installation”