H/V Curve Inversion

This forum is dedicated to discuss all problems and suggestions related to the inversion software
EduardoPitta

H/V Curve Inversion

Postby EduardoPitta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with this new version of Dinver.
Dinver read a .hv file as frequency x ellipticity (Degrees) instead of frequency x H/V (as the old version).
Can someone tell me how to invert a H/V Curve in this new version of dinver?

Rexha.vry

Re: H/V Curve Inversion

Postby Rexha.vry » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:05 am

Hi,

I am dealing with the same issue. In the older version, I used to input the .hv file resulted from Geopsy which contains the spectrum of H/V (frequency vs H/V) to dinver. Then, dinver read it as ellipticity (H/V) and I would do the inversion using that. However, in this new version, the .hv file resulted from Geopsy is read as ellipticity (in degree) in dinver. I found some way to consider it as ellipticity (H/V) by changing the header in .hv file, then do the inversion. But, in the inversion, the observed data is automatically converted to ellipticity in degress by calculated them as atan(H/V); and the comparison between observed and calculated curved (ellipticity in degrees) seems off. I prefer to use the older version that consider the data as ellipticity in H/V. Can I change it in the new version?

Please, I hope that Marc can give us an explanation regarding that. I have been stuck on this for 2 months.

Thanks,

EduardoPitta

Postby EduardoPitta » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, the curve produced by the new version is really off, nothing like the old version. I really tried everything but couldn't come up with a solution that didn't include writing my own code.
I gave up on that and I'm now using the older version for Windows.
I'm running late so I don't have time to deal with it.
I thought that it would be possible to change the output in Geopsy, but I couldn't find anything.
I really hope someone could complete the documentation on the Wiki, I will try to contribute when I have the time.

EduardoPitta

Postby EduardoPitta » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 pm

By the way, if you have any doubts regarding the theory behind the curve or anything related to that, send me a message. It's really hard to find support for that and I tinkered quite a while with that.
I'm now using HVTFA, I still have to learn how the calculations are made. Now my priority is to get the inversions right.

Return to “Dinver usage”