Changing the precision in spin boxes for real values

Post in this forum all topics related to all sesarray softwares, not a particular one.
admin
Site Admin

Changing the precision in spin boxes for real values

Postby admin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:09 pm

Spin boxes are those numeral editable texts you can find in most of the dialog boxes. These numerical values can be scrolled up and down with the little arrows displayed on the right side of the text field, but also with the mouse wheel. Some of the spin boxes can support floating point values.

The display precision is fixed to a reasonable value that depends upon the common range encountered or needed for the parameter value. In some situations you may expect a better precision or you want to get rid of an excessive precision.

Changing precision requires a mouse with a central wheel button and modifier keys CTRL, ALT and SHIFT. If you have no wheel button on your mouse or if you are using just a touch pad, there is currently no other option than go and buy a new mouse.

To change the display precision, press ALT and move the mouse by one step backwards to decrease precision, forwards to increase it.

You can also change the single step by pressing SHIFT while scrolling the mouse (be careful to scroll one by one, either you may get lost). Check the step size by playing with the wheel button without pressing any modifier key. You'll see which digit is changed.

The CTRL (or "Pomme", "Command" under Mac OS X) lets you multiply the current step by 10. When the modifier is released, the multiplication factor is not applied any more.

Theses precision and step adjustments are properly recorded in most cases so that next time it will appear again with customized precision and step.
Attachments
spinbox.png
A spin box example
spinbox.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 8051 times

bre

Using very low frequency values in H/V

Postby bre » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Marc,
we wanted to try and compute H/V from teleseismic Rayleigh waves in the very low-frequency part of the spectrum. I would like to do the computation until 200 sec (0.005 Hz). So I changed the precision for the lower-limit-of-H/V spin box (nice feature!) to three digits after the dot, and I tried to change the increment that the value is lowered/enlarged by using the mouse wheel and STRG. However, the increment does not get below something like 0.002/3 and the lowest value I can achieve is 0.010. If I try direct editing of the value (that's what I did first) I am not allowed to enter any zeros into the second digit after the dot. I tried for more than 5 minutes now, but I simply cannot set the value to 0.00-something, so I suspect there is some internal limit, even if there is the possibility to have three digits after the dot. (I am using GEOPSY version 2.0.2) Any trick that I am not aware of to set the frequency limit in the way I'd like it?

Brigitte

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Brigittte,

Yes indeed, this looks like blocked to 0.01. Did you try with command line interface? There should be no limitation like this one there.

It is the minimum set to this field. I can set a limit of 0, but I'll first check if there is no side effect in case a null limit. Thanks for your report.

Marc

Return to “General usage”