Versions of projects
The distribution archive, is made of a lot individual applications and libraries that have their own version. Branches are either stable, testing or devel. Every day changes on all branches are automatically analyzed. Results are directly available in a browser here.
Modifications of source code is characterized by its level (script dpversionreport):
- Level 3: modification of object interface (.h files)
- Level 2: modification of object implementation (.cpp files)
- Level 1: currently not used
- Level 0: no modification
Version numbers are made of three parts: A.B.C.
Report of recent modifications and suggestions for version change is available at http://www.geopsy.org/versions. Projects listed in user, restricted and linux are processed. For the other groups run the report manually:
dpsubdo -l install dpversionreport
Version reporting is currently linked to compilation factory. It might change in the future to report all projects, including more private ones.
Version model for applications and plugins
- A: major modifications with drastic changes for the end-user
- B: minor modifications for the end-user
- C: minor bug fixes almost invisible for the end-user
- A: major modifications of the API: compatibility with old codes is not guaranteed.
- B: minor modifications of the API: some classes or functions were added, inline functions were modified, arguments were added with default values to keep compatibility with old codes. In other words, old codes can still be compiled without modification but binary compatibility is not guaranteed.
- C: minor revision: API is not modified and binary compatibility is guaranteed. Classes or functions can still be added but inline status or inline contents cannot be modified. Number of arguments cannot be changed. Class members cannot be modified.
There can be also a release name added after a dash. The most common is '-snapshot-YYMMDD' for unstable development releases. In such case, version is labeled as 0.0.0.
The summary is an executable bash script that can be used to increment versions of individual applications and libraries. For each modification level, a version increment is labeled B (level 3) or C (level 2). Level 3 may be subject to discussion in case of minor modification of a header file. Modifications on the current stable branch cannot be other that C.
######################### geopsy/geopsycore ######################### OLD_DIR=$(pwd) cd gptools/gpsort dpversion C cd $OLD_DIR
Once this is done for all packets, you can commit the new versions to the repository:
dpsubdo dpversion c dpsubdo dpversion t
Tagging is mandatory for proper version reporting. Do not tag nor change version before a successful test of the distributed archive.
Version of project list
cd admin dversion s
Eventually, set a snapshot version:
commit the new versions to the repository:
Set snapshot date to all packets (do this before ./quickpack on the server):
dpsubdo dpversion S
Commit version change:
dpsubdo dpversion c
First remove all temporary files (especially those generated by previous conflicts):
We merge changes made on a release branch to the development trunk.
cd sesarray-2.1 dpsubdo dpcheckout sesarray-2.0 dpsubpull dpsubdo dpcheckout master dpsubdo git merge sesarray-2.0
This part must be revised and enlarged when next merge will happen.
Creating a new branch
We assume that current master branch is 2.1. We want to move master to 2.2. We re-create a complete development tree.
mkdir 2.2 git clone ssh://USERNAME@geopsy.org/home/git/geopsyprojects mv geopsyprojects admin cp ../2.1/admin/options.sub admin # Edit to change destination path cp ../2.1/admin/projects.default admin dpsubconfig -f dpsubdo dpstableh dpsubpro qmake make
After first successful build, remove the 3rd parties from 2.2.pro file to avoid problems with QtCreator
We assume /usr/local/Geopsy.org/2.2/ as the destination path
Within the previous master tree
cd 2.1 dpsubdo cp admin/version-master admin/version-2.1 dpsubdo git add admin/version-2.1 dpsubdo git branch 2.1 dpsubdo dpcheckout 2.1 dpsubdo git commit -a -m "New branch 2.1" dpsubpush cd admin cp admin/version-master admin/version-2.1 git add admin/version-2.1 git branch 2.1 dpcheckout 2.1 dppush
Log to Windows server, Sources server and Mac OS X server
Add branch 2.2 to option.factory (in BRANCHES) Run dpfacsetoptions to create the source tree